Sunday, August 25, 2013

Day 3 (Aug 25th)

I went to Gyeongbokgung Palace today!

Not really much else to say though. The sights were very pretty, and on the way there, a butterfly landed on my arm. (Although the arm in the picture isn't mine, it was the guy next to me. Haha.) I also ate bibim naengmyoeon which is a spicy cold noodle dish. It came with this pork dish on the side which was delicious. After the palace I went back to my dorm room and watched TV cuz my feet hurt and I was tired. Man do you walk around a lot here.

Oh and I met some new friends. We talked about our respective schools and one spotted a celebrity filming on campus today. Pretty cool huh? Anyway, here's what I learned on the tour:

1. The king had three offices, two of which were heated by putting wood under these slots below the building to heat the floor. What were the offices for? Well basically, he can pick and choose which one he wanted to use because he was the king and he could do that.
2. The symbol for the king is the phoenix, not the dragon. The dragon as the symbol for the emperor (which is chinese.)
3. There are various statues around the palace to ward off evil.
4. The queen had a separate building where she gave birth that overlooked the mountains.
5. There's not many furniture in the sleeping quarters to prevent people from hiding behind them or under them.

...And that's about it because it was hot and I don't really remember the other stuff correctly. I don't do well in the sun you guys.

Oh and I forgot I didn't tell you guys about my dorm room. It's really small. The furniture is nice but my mattress is hard as heck. And the pillow they give you isn't a real pillow. It's like a mesh pillow case with these plastic noodle things inside. So needless to say, I bought a pillow. Done.





No comments:

Post a Comment